Get your order in today.
KOMODO is out now!
The highly anticipated 6K RED KOMODO is now available to order. Here's the breakdown of RED's ultra compact cinema camera.
Finally after a long wait the light weight cinema camera is available to purchase. It has been battle tested over the last few months by DPs around the world, ranging from owner operators to high budget TV episodic work. Now that it is available to everyone, we are sure that plenty of magic will be made!
The KOMODO has a global shutter sensor sized at 27.03mm x 14.26mm with a maximum of 6K resolution, shooting internal REDCODE RAW as well as Apple ProRes. Frame rates up to 60FPS at 4k show how versatile this camera will be in the field! The body is 4inch cubed with a weight of only 950g. Since it was originally conceived to be the ultimate "crash cam", its perfect for rigging onto vehicles and small gimbals. You could put this thing anywhere!
The global shutter really sets the KOMODO apart and produces amazing life like imagery. From all the tests that we have seen the image quality and colour science is truly on par with larger production cinema cameras, producing rich colours and true motion. The high dynamic range and variable frame rates add to the sensor quality to produce a complete cinema camera package.
The Canon RF mount allows for users to easily adapt between different lens mount formats. We have put the current list of compatible lenses below.
Recording onto CFAST 2.0 cards at REDCODE RAW in various modes lets the camera fit easily into existing media management pipelines. You can also load in both creative and technical LUTs straight into the camera giving the DP and DIT full control of their look on set.
Checkout the post production process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3i3JPU1iLs
Breakdown of the different REDCODE modes are here:
HQ: Perfect for VFX, extremely detail scenes, and stills from motion.
MQ: Great for cinema and high-end TV.
LQ: Ideal for TV, online content, documentary, interviews, and long takes.
The Phase-Detect auto focus is a novel addition on a cinema camera of this quality which speaks to the versatility of the KOMODO. The camera can also be easily controlled by the RED Control app on both iOS and Android.
The camera body as well as the pre-bundled pack options are live on Film Gear South Africa today, and ready to purchase. Check them out below! If you have any questions on the Komodo or would like to have a demo of the camera, please reach out to us! Checkout the packages HERE!
Lens Mount Compatibility List:
Fully compatible with lens metadata and electronic communication
- Canon EF
- Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
- Canon Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Variable ND Filter / Clear Filter / Circular Polarizer
- Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R* (control ring function not supported)
- Commlite Electronic Autofocus Lens Mount Adapter for Canon EF or EF-S-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera (not validated)
- Metabones T Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x Adapter for Canon Full-Frame EF-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera (not validated)
Mechanically compatible, no lens metadata
- PL Mount
- Metabones RF to PL mount
- Leica M
- Novoflex RF to Leica M mount
- Leica M42
- Vello Lens Mount Adapter for M42-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Canon FD
- Vello Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- FotodioX Canon FD Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera Pro Lens Adapter
- Nikon F-Mount
- Vello Lens Mount Adapter for Nikon F-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Sony A-mount
- KIPON Lens Mount Adapter for Sony/Minolta A-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Pentax K-mount
- KIPON Lens Mount Adapter for Pentax K-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Vivitar T-Mount to Canon RF-Mount Adapter
- KIPON Lens Mount Adapter for C-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- KIPON Lens Mount Adapter for Alpa-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Contax 645-mount
- KIPON Baveyes 0.7x Lens Mount Adapter for Contax 645-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Hasselblad V-mount
- KIPON Baveyes 0.7x Lens Mount Adapter for Hasselblad V-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera
- Sony E-mount
- Nikon Z-mount
- Fujifilm X-mount
- Canon EF-M-mount
- any lens mount with less than 20mm flange focal distance is not compatible